YOUTH COMMISSION MEETING
May 18, 2016
The meeting started at 9:40 am.
Present: Jessica Knapp, Manuela Michailescu, Pam Stocking, Recreation/Youth Dept. Director Carol Dennin, Assistant to Recreation/Youth Dept. Director Rita Harkins and Town Board Liaison Cindy Fornino.
Absent: Sandy Chipman.
The minutes of the April 20, 2016 meeting were reviewed. Pam Stocking made a motion to approve the minutes and Manuela Michailescu seconded the motion, which was approved unanimously.
Carol Dennin presented the Director’s Report; among the highlights:
• 80 people attended and were served at the “Wear a Hat” Mother’s Day Brunch on May 6; “Craft Ladies” created and offered special flowers
• The Kerhonkson-Accord First Aid Squad gave the after school program kids a crash course in safety on May 17; they promised to return for the Summer program youth
• Memorial service for Al Barnett to take place on Saturday, May 21, at the Community Center (Pastor Collins will officiate). Al was a great supporter of youth and our department, who offered many donations (among which the trees we see along the side yard of the Center).
• Memorial Day celebration at the Veterans Park on May 30 at 11:30 am to include the Fallen Soldier’s Table, as in previous years; as per Town Board liaison Cindy Fornino, there is hope to have the parade end at the Veterans’ Park as of next year
• getting items for the Yard Sale (to benefit the Summer program) starts on May 25; Yard Sale is June 6-10
• June 10 is the end of school year celebration, with DJ Eric, good food and lots of fun
• Drivers’ Safety Course – June 15, 9 am – 3 pm ($20 for AARP members, $25 all others)
• Cleaning and waxing of the floors at the Community Center – hopefully the third week of June
Update from the Town Board liaison:
• The issue of the sign for the Community Center was not yet brought up
• The Drivers’ Safety Course to be announced at the first June Town Board meeting
• The Town Park will be improved
The meeting adjourned around 10:15 am.
The next meeting is on June 15, 2016, 9:30 am at the Community Center.