YOUTH COMMISSION MEETING
September 21, 2016
The meeting started at 9:35 am.
Present: Jessica Knapp, Manuela Michailescu, Pam Stocking, Recreation/Youth Dept. Director Carol Dennin, Assistants to Recreation/Youth Dept. Director Rita Harkins and Ashley Sweeney, and Town Board Liaison Cindy Fornino.
Absent: Sandy Chipman (medical/family reasons).
The minutes of the August 24, 2016 meeting were reviewed. Pam Stocking made a motion to approve the minutes, Manuela Michailescu seconded the motion, which was approved unanimously.
Carol Dennin presented a verbal Director’s Report; among the highlights:
• The After School program is over-flowing — 70 youth per day, from the Town of Rochester and out of town.
• Heritage Day — including Pie Festival and Talent Show — on October 1, 2016
For the Pie Festival we go back to the original formula from the initial Jennie Bell Pie Festival (contest and sales, 2 pies per participant, only home made pies accepted); prizes are $50, $25 and $15
For the Talent Show prizes are $150, $100 and $50
• The “Rent-A-Kid” program is going down (as kids don’t want to do it).
• The Summer Baseball program has sadly come to an end.
• Adult Exercise Class (with Rita Harkins), Tuesdays and Thursdays — the numbers are going up.
• Food Pantry — Serving the Town for over 24 years; more than 30,000 meals served this past year. The Pantry is anxiously awaiting the building of its new home next to the Community Center.
• October 21 — Kids’ Halloween Party, 5 – 6:30 pm
* October 29 — Halloween Grand Finale (after 18 years), themed “Field of Screams,” is at Kelder’s Corn Maze; as preparation, the Department employees would go to Kelder’s Farm to decide about lighting, sound and other issues; a meeting of participants takes place at Kelder’s on Saturday, October 15, at 9:30 am.
• Thanksgiving Day Luncheon – November 24, 2016, 11:30 am — 1:30 pm. Reservations needed by Nov. 18. Donations would be greatly appreciated. Jessica Knapp would be cooking a turkey and soup.
The meeting adjourned around 10:30 am.
The next meeting is on October 19, 2016, 9:30 am at the Community Center.