YOUTH COMMISSION MEETING
October 19, 2016
The meeting started at 9:40 am.
Present: Sandy Chipman, Jessica Knapp, Manuela Michailescu, Pam Stocking, Recreation/Youth Dept. Director Carol Dennin, Assistant to Recreation/Youth Dept. Director Ashley Sweeney, and Town Board Liaison Cindy Fornino.
The minutes of the September 21, 2016 meeting were reviewed and amended. Pam Stocking made a motion to approve the minutes as amended, Sandy Chipman seconded the motion, which was approved unanimously.
Carol Dennin presented the Director’s Report; among the highlights:
• Recreation/Youth Department employees’ titles have been changed by the County; no more “Director/Assistant Director” titles (except her), but all are equal, “Recreation Aides”
• The After School program has 65-70 kids daily and a waiting list; staff is 4 people; out of towners pay $20 per week for 1 or 2 kids (most have 2-3 kids in a family); lots of supplies are used, fees may have to change after January 1
• Because of some difficulties, the Summer Program is going to be broken up, with separate responsibilities for the former directors/assistant director MaryAnne Gates, Dyani Fitzpatrick, Veronica Wynkoop-Schwenk; MaryAnne would do Mondays, Tuesdays, Wednesdays; Veronica — all admissions; Dyani — morning meetings
• The ratio for the Summer Program to be 7 kids to 1 recreation aide; to have only adults, no longer kid counselors
• The Pie Festival (part of the Heritage Day) was amazing; nice to go back to the original, inter-generational, fun-filled, down-home feel of a community event… Aprons (for award recipients) were from Lolly Chase and two donated by the Federated Church
• The Basketball program — registration started at the Recreation Center and at the school (against Department’s wishes); future not known yet…
“THE MARY LEE FRIEND OF YOUTH AWARD” to be presented at the Senior Holiday Brunch in December
Pam Stocking made a motion to present this award to Rich Miller, who helped the Department for years, in many ways; Sandy Chipman seconded the motion, which was approved unanimously.
There are no nominations for “The Sue Matson Distinguished Youth Award” this year.
• October 21 — Kids’ Halloween Party, 5 – 6:30 pm
* October 29 — Halloween Grand Finale (after 18 years), themed “Field of Screams,” is at Kelder’s Corn Maze; the event is filled in terms of reservations. Sound issues discussed (Jessica and her friend Brian to be there at 5:30 pm)
• November 24, 2016, 11:30 am — 1:30 pm, Thanksgiving Day Luncheon. Reservations needed by Nov. 18.
• December 17, 2016 — Senior Holiday Brunch (10:00 — 11:30 am) and Children’s Holiday Party (12 noon)
The meeting adjourned around 10:30 am.
The meeting scheduled for Thursday, November 17, 2016, was cancelled because only 2 members could have attended.
No meeting was scheduled for December (bad weather interfered even with the Holiday events/parties on Dec. 17).
Next meeting takes place on January 25, 2017, 9:30 am at the Community Center.